Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Memorial Day…

How we spend our Memorial Day varies from family to family and from place to place. Many of us living close to the Jersey shore traditionally head to the shore, leaving many areas feeling like a ghost town. Yesterday I was an observer to a Memorial Day family tradition that LJN had experienced as a child. As I watched LJN and other family members tidy up the grave plaque, place flowers and plant flowers at the graves of family members, I realized I was witnessing a very familiar practice on this day.

I listen to the exchange between the siblings, each having a different memory or recollection and for some having no knowledge about “such things” when it came to Aunt so and so and the occasional reply of… oh, I didn’t know that. As I stood there listening to all of these memories I thought about the many soldiers buried in cemeteries across this land who died in service to our country. I visualized those families at their graves, some holding back the tears in their eyes, others gently wiping away a tear and others recalling family memories that could put a smile on your face as they too exchanged memories about their son or daughter, father or mother, niece or nephew, aunt or uncle, cousin or grandchild. It is in these recalled memories on this day and other holidays when they are deeply missed that we, for a few fleeting moments, feel the warmth and touch of their presence once again.

I would like to say thank you to all of the men and women serving in our military today and to those who once served long ago, I lift my voice in praise for your service to our country and especially to the families whose loved ones paid the greatest sacrifice of all… death in service to our nation.

Trish


















I Weep for Those Who Are Not My Own
I weep as any Father, Husband, Mother, Wife, Brother, Sister, Uncle, Aunt, Grandparent or Friend would at the loss of their loved one.
I weep for those who are not my own…
These soldiers Men and Women are all a part of us. The list is very long and growing longer each day.
I weep for those who are not my own…
Our voices on ending this conflict are varied, but our tears and aching hearts are clearly the same all over.
I weep for those who are not my own…
Let our cry be heard from the North to the South from the East to the West.
Weep No More, Weep No More, And Weep No More!
PLEASE STOP THIS WAR!

Inspired when watching This Week with George Stephanopoulos- ‘This Week’ Remembers Those We Have Lost …

2/07
Trish Nicholas
Support Our Troops
"And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier's tomb, and beauty weeps the brave." - Joseph Drake
***To Miss Carrie who has been deployed for seven months, my prayers are with you and your fellow soldiers that you all may return safely home to your families… GO NAVY!
Photos by Trish & LJN
Support Our Troops-Photographer Unknown
Through the Viewfinder www.zazzle.com/meia7214N*
GO ARMY!
GO AIRFORCE!
GO MARINES!





***FYI A brand new Photography Website is coming in June!





No comments: